"This is such a great learning program you’ve created, thank you so much. I needed this so badly! I already know I’m going to come back to your videos 7-8 times." - Review from past courses.
Already Helped 72,298 Makers
*Stats from my old youtube blender precision series*
• Made by a maker for makers to start making from day one!
• Learn 3D modeling through practical application in 10 concise 3D printing learning projects.
• Everything you need to know to get started in one place.
- - Leaving you ready to bring your creative ideas and model remixes to life - -
- 3D Print Design Made Easy -
Start Making YOUR Ideas Today.
Your satisfaction is assured by our 30-day | 100% money-back guarantee.
Want to learn blender for 3D printing or
precision modeling but don't know how?
Everything you need to get started in ONE place
This course will teach you everything that is important to begin your precision 3D journey. Start making from day one learning the fundamental principles, tools and settings while modeling an array of 3D printing projects. All guided through a step by step spiral learning path. No need to search for relevant & up to date online videos from different sources to get started.
Appropriate for absolute beginners
Don't know anything about 3D, Blender or just getting started? Coming from a CAD program? Not a problem. This course will guide you right from the start and cut through the fluff of the vast world of blender to show you what you actually need to know. If you have some experience already, this course will help you fill in the precision modeling gaps and smoothly show you the diverse world of product design in Blender.
Learn by making via a spiral learning structure
Right away you'll be modeling your first of ten 3D printable learning projects. Projects are cut up into a series of short videos. Each project is designed to introduce new concepts and build on the foundations learnt in the last project. By the end of the ten projects, you'll be able to bring your ideas to life.
Each lesson is designed to be as clear and understandable as possible. With that said, if you need help at any point just ask in the discussion section under each lecture, where Me, the academy team and other students are available to help.
A maker community behind you
Plus, access to an exclusive students-only community, where you can ask questions, share your projects and give or receive feedback from us or other students.
All future course updates for free
Help from the academy team
Watch the course offline
All important project files included
Pay once and get lifetime access
Join the student-only community
A certificate on course completion
Watch the course online
All videos have English captions
Start Making Now
Your satisfaction is assured by our 30-day | 100% money-back guarantee.
Meet Jonathan, the maker behind Maker Tales.
He's a multi-media maker, experienced in product design, 3D Printing, Laser cutting, visual effects, and much more. He'll be the one guiding you step by step through this course.
"The vast world of 3D can be one of the most overwhelming and infuriating experiences imaginable. I know how it feels… I began my journey into the world of 3D, around 12 years ago (2011) studying Creative Digital Media. It was so bad, I abandoned anything 3D until I got my first 3D printer 7 years ago (2015).
The most powerful tool a maker can know is a 3D program. Fast forward 5 years using TinkerCAD, Fusion 360, SketchUp, Rhino 3D. Leading to working full time as a maker. Bringing forward the creation of Maker Tales to help and inspire other makers. This is when blender entered the equation, a free, powerful, open-source 3D program, democratizing the world of 3D modeling.
Created for visual production it can make stunning renders and precise complicated models, once you grasp the mesh modeling workflow. This can be especially difficult having to sift through mountains of visual production fluff, to find the maker info you need.
With a background in VFX, I’ve been able to quickly interpret the powerful tools blender has to offer makers and experienced the pain points that can make Blender unnecessarily hard and long-winded to learn.
That’s why I’ve meticulously created this makers starter guide How To Use Blender For 3D Printing, so you don’t have to go through the headaches that I and many others have had. This makes the whole learning process less painful and more enjoyable, enabling you to start printing your own creations today."
What To Expect
Learning Project 1
Installation - Fundamental Setup - Orientation - Navigation
3D Modes - Mesh Explained - Mesh Transforms
Inset & Extrusion - Snapping - STL Exporting
*Don't worry if the words above seem alien it will all be explained*
Mesh / .STL Editing
New Topics In Learning Project 2
Importing .stl/.obj - Origin Points - 3D Cursor - Selection
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting
New Topics In Learning Project 3
Blender Addons - CAD Transforms - Modifier Mirroring
Bevels & Chamfers - 3D Print Checking
Mesh Clean up - Loop Cutting
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting - Selection - Extrusion
Desk Storage Unit
New Topics In Learning Project 4
Multiple Objects - Origin Points & 3D Cursor Relationship
Normals - Solidify - Mesh Definition - Tolerances - Duplication
Linked Duplication - Bool Union - Face Subdivision
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting - Selection - Extrusion - Inset - Bevels & Chamfers - Mesh Clean up - CAD Transforms - Loop Cut
New Topics In Learning Project 5
Bool Difference - Custom Bevels
Vertex Groups - Arraying - Normals Expanded
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting - Selection - Bevels & Chamfers - Mesh Clean up - Normals - Loop Cut
Get Printing Today!
Your satisfaction is assured by our 30-day | 100% money-back guarantee.
Hex Key Rack
New Topics In Learning Project 6
Multi Array - Internal faces - Asset Manager - Extrude Manifold
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting - Selection - Extrusion - Inset - Bevels & Chamfers - Mesh Clean up - Normals - CAD Transforms - Arraying - Bool Difference - Tolerances
New Topic In Learning Project 7
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting - Selection - Extrusion - Inset - Bevels & Chamfers - Mesh Clean up - Normals - CAD Transforms - Arraying - Bool Difference
New Topics In Learning Project 8
Screwing - Curves - Mesh & Curve Relationship
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting - Selection - Extrusion - Bevels & Chamfers - Mesh Clean up - Normals - CAD Transforms - Bool Difference - Tolerances - Asset Browser
New Topics In Learning Project 9
Stacked Modifiers - Mesh Analysis - Curves Expanded
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting - Selection - Mesh Clean up - Normals - CAD Transforms - Bool Difference - Multi Bool - Curves - Solidify - Screwing
New Topics In Learning Project 10
Skin Modifier - Circular Arraying - Null Objects
"Thread" Creation - Flexible Design
Revisited Topics: Mesh Transforms - Snapping - .STL Exporting - Selection - Extrusion - Bevels & Chamfers - Mesh Clean up - Normals - CAD Transforms - Arraying - Bool Difference - Bool Union - Screwing - Mesh Analysis
What Others Have Said About My Courses
This is such a great learning program you’ve created, thank you so much. I needed this so badly! I already know I’m going to come back to your videos 7-8 times.
Coming from Lightwave, I never felt quite at home in Blender and it never quite clicked. But now, because of your fine explanations it feels so natural now! Thanks!
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for teaching all these little things that clear up frustrations I've had trying to figure out Blender on my own!
Been dealing with these modeling inconsistencies for over a year, insane how I put up with this for so long until now, Thanks for the course, this helped a bunch!
You are such a fantastic teacher. I am new to all of this and I tried taking some skillshare courses and they had me consistently pausing in frustration because things weren't clearly explained. This is incredibly precise and wonderful for the non tech-savvy folks. Thank you thank you THANK YOU so much for what you do.
These series are absolutely amazing. You are such an amazing teacher :D
Now's Your Chance!
YOUR SATISFACTION IS ASSURED BY OUR 30 - DAY | 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can't find the answer for your question? Contact us here.
When does the course start and finish?
The course stars as soon as you sign up and it will never end! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
Well, How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you will have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
I've never used Blender before, am I able to follow this courses?
Yes! This course is specially designed to help you get started, even if you don't know anything about Blender or 3D in general.
Do I need a powerful system to run Blender?
In general, Blender should run on older systems. With that said, Blender makes heavy use of your graphics card. That's why we recommend to check if Blender runs on your computer.
Here you can check the system requirements.
We also recommend downloading the latest version of Blender and checking if it runs on your machine.
Do I need a 3D printer to do this course?
Absolutely not. In fact, one of the key reasons some even take the course is to know 3D design before they get a 3D printer. The only downside is that you will not be able to print your designs right away.
Full Course Curriculum & Free Preview
Below you can see the full course curriculum.
Lessons marked as “Preview” can be watched for free.
- Project 1 Introduction (0:25)
- 0.1 Downloading & Installing Blender (0:45)
- 0.2 First Time Running Blender & Quality Of Life Changes (1:50)
- 0.3 UI Crash Course (1:35)
- 0.4 Blender Navigation ( Mouse ) (1:06)
- 0.4.1 Blender Navigation ( Laptop ) (1:10)
- 0.5 Navigation Snapping (1:34)
- 0.6 Blender Object Selection (1:11)
- 0.7 Object Transforms ( Move, Rotate & Scale ) (5:40)
- 0.8 Deleting & Creating Object & 3D Cursor Intro (2:24)
- 0.9 Object & Edit Mode Relationship (3:27)
- 0.10 Deeply Understanding Mesh (9:48)
- 0.11 Mesh Manipulation (7:33)
- 0.12 Extrusion Types (1:30)
- 0.13 Edit Mode Selection Methods (4:17)
- 1.1 Setting Up Blender In Millimetres (2:38)
- 1.2 Crucial Understanding Of 3D Printing (5:33)
- 1.3 Operator Panels, Renaming & Saving (1:19)
- 1.4 Face Cutting Methods & Core Shape Creation (7:13)
- 1.5 Extrude Manifold Tool Showcase & Warnings (3:20)
- 1.6 Face Insets, Thin Wall 3D Printing Design Principle & Scale Movement (3:26)
- 1.7 Snap Positioning Our Pencil Pot Holes (1:01)
- 1.8 3D Printing Mesh Check & STL Exporting (6:30)
- Project 1 Wrap Up & Next Steps (0:36)
- Project 2 Introduction (0:28)
- 2.1 Importing an .STL & Simplifying For Editing (1:42)
- 2.1.1 How To Import A .3MF (1:32)
- 2.2 Understanding the Origin Point & Pivot Points (5:28)
- 2.3 Understanding Global, Local & Normal World Spaces. (4:44)
- 2.4 Getting Measurements From Mesh (1:40)
- 2.5 Mesh Editing With Active Element Snapping (2:30)
- 2.6 3D Print Mesh Check & Non-Flat Face Explanation ( Defining Mesh ) (3:24)
- Project 2 Wrap Up & Next Steps (0:40)
- Project 3 Introduction (0:26)
- Quick Note: Mesh Edge Colour Change (0:51)
- 3.1 Getting Setup & Started With CAD Transforms (7:36)
- 3.2 Intro To Modifiers With The Mirror Modifier (4:12)
- 3.3 Shower Hanger Base Mesh & 3D Printing Tolerances (5:21)
- 3.4 Understanding & Controlling Bevels & Chamfers (10:08)
- 3.5 Using The Bevel Modifier & Vertex Groups (5:23)
- 3.6 3D Print Mesh Check & Applying Modifiers (3:12)
- Project 3 Wrap Up & Next Steps (0:38)
- Project 4 Introduction (0:31)
- 4.1 Core Desk Storage Unit Creation, Bridge Edge Loops & Mesh Based Booleans (7:51)
- 4.2 Creating Drawer Mesh From Unit & The Solidify Modifier (5:19)
- 4.3 Finessing the Drawer Design & Linked Duplicates (5:01)
- 4.4 Object Booleans While Adding The Drawer Catching Mechanism (11:58)
- 4.5 When In Doubt Test It Out Feature Testing (5:44)
- 4.6 Collection Backup & 3D Print Mesh Check (4:46)
- Project 4 Wrap Up & Next Steps (0:47)
- Project 5 Introduction (0:17)
- 5.1 Base Mesh & Collections Setup (3:32)
- 5.2 Creating The Secret Shelf Cover With A Tolerance Controlling Boolean (5:38)
- 5.3 Internal Secret Shelf Creation (1:59)
- 5.4 Screw Mounting Hole Creation & Using Array Modifiers (6:17)
- 5.5 3D Printing Principle Design Adaptation (7:13)
- 5.6 Version Control & Part Strengthening (5:08)
- 5.7 Version Control Back Up & 3D Print Mesh Check (5:35)
- Project 5 Wrap Up & Next Steps (0:57)
- Project 6 Introduction (0:41)
- 6.1 Procedural Multi-array Honeycomb Mesh (5:35)
- 6.2 Procedural Core Mesh Setup With Version Control & Random Selection (6:38)
- 6.3 None Procedural Honeycomb Setup using Extra Mesh Addon & Auto Merging (7:24)
- 6.4 Setting Up The Asset browser For Our Countersinks (10:08)
- 6.5 Placing Countersinks & Creating Screw Hole Covers (5:44)
- 6.6 Honeycomb Key Chain & 3D Printer Bridging (8:19)
- 6.7 Key Ring Hole Attachment & Function vs Form (5:21)
- 6.8 3D Print Mesh Checking (5:05)
- Project 6 Wrap Up & Next Steps (0:47)
- Project 7 Introduction (1:16)
- 7.1 Building The Core Crate Mesh (6:08)
- 7.2 Creating The Crate Stacking System (6:15)
- 7.3 Making The Stacking System Procedural ( Parametric ) Using Drivers (4:02)
- 7.4 Adding Parametric 3D Printing Offsets With Drivers (10:45)
- 7.5 Side Face Details With Multi Booleans (5:37)
- 7.6 Back Wall Detailing With Multi Booleans & Mirror Modifier (4:19)
- 7.7 Front Wall Detailing By Reusing Multi-Booleans (4:03)
- 7.8 Base Detailing Using Pre-Made Assets & Edit Mesh Tool Addon (10:13)
- 7.9 Showcasing The Flexibility Of Your Stackable Crate (5:31)
- 7.10 The Importance Of Modifier Stack Ordering (4:12)
- 7.11 How To Apply Complicated Models For 3D Print Mesh Checking (6:48)
- Project 7 Wrap Up & Next Steps (1:05)
- Project 8 Introduction (0:27)
- 8.1 Intro To Curves & The Single Vertex Workflow (8:47)
- 8.2 Building Mesh With A Curve With The Screw Modifier aka Revolving (5:07)
- 8.3 Making The Dot Lid & Understanding Bevels With Curves (6:03)
- 8.4 Converting Curves To Mesh, Strengthening & Asset Browser Mounting Points (5:40)
- 8.5 3D Print Mesh Setup & Checking (4:08)
- Project 8 Wrap Up & Next Steps (0:38)
- Project 9 Introduction (0:20)
- 9.1 Creating The Vase With Curves (4:23)
- 9.2 Converting To Mesh & The Power Of Modifier Stacking (5:40)
- 9.3 Working With High Topology Mesh & Wireframe Editing Setup (4:26)
- 9.4 Edit The Wireframe Mesh Into Position & Shaping It To Be 3D Printable (12:12)
- 9.5 Bringing Our Wireframe & Vase Together (2:08)
- 9.6 Top Level 3D Print Check & Setup (9:22)
- 9.7 Perfecting A 3D Print Check (8:44)
- 9.8 3D Print Design Optimization (4:42)
- Project 9 Wrap Up & Next Steps (0:52)
- Project 10 Introduction (0:21)
- 10.1 Building A Base With Skinned Legs & Circular Arrays With Empty Objects (6:33)
- 10.2 Scratching The Surface Of The Subdivision Modifier ( Organic Modeling ) (11:31)
- 10.3 Creating A Custom Thread Shape For The Body (6:03)
- 10.4 Creating The Head Of The Bacteriophage (2:36)
- 10.5 Making The Thread Body Manifold & Bringing It All Together (6:26)
- 10.6 3D Print Check & Clean Up (9:34)
- Project 10 Wrap Up & Next Steps (2:43)